Monday, November 30, 2020

21st Century Orphism

It just occurred to me that Mercury is like Venus wearing the Moon (aka Psyche) for a helmet, and that, conversely, Venus is like Mercury doffing his Moon hat in a humble bow.

I was taking a break from Thucydides History of Peloponnesian War - and looking at the chart for the moment.

I  noticed that Venus is near the 13th degree Scorpio midheaven while Pluto is rising at 23 degrees Capricorn.  A vast majority of earth's current population resides along the same latitude, or thereabouts, as Raleigh, so that means a lot of the planet's peeps will share that same phenomenon, of Venus on MC while Pluto is rising.  Kindness culminating as the marginalized is presented to our vision.  Then, I guess since Venus and Mercury aren't too far apart in the chart yet - they are still in the same sign (Scorpio) and still both preceding Sun along the ecliptic; it came to me about the Moon hat/helmet.  Mercury, which doesn't travel as far from Sun, but runs rings around it compared to even loyal Venus, wears the hat of the fastest of them all, Lovely Luna.  To me, that Moon hat signifies the freedom of rapid movement and consequent ability to process  perceptions which Venus and Mars lack.
 
So that explains the title of this post, 21st Century Orphism:  all these shape shifting symbols of old time myths used to seriously drive me NUTS.  Now I think of Orphism as Morphism without the M.  In other words I'm taking an ancient symbol system and using it with my own 21st century sensibility.  If morphology is how things change visible shape over time, orphology is how the invisible essence of those visible shapes is ever the same.

Now, for why I did the chart at 10:19am.  I stopped reading after finishing two opposing speeches by orators making the case for, and then against, killing all the rebellious Mytilenes for leading the island of Lesbos in rebellion against the Athenians.  Both orators were so incredibly eloquent and persuasive!  I was soaring with the gods of intelligence (old timey expression there) and thanking them for the gift, passed down through the centuries, of these recorded speeches. 

I'm pretty sure Thucydides fought on the side of the Athenians in the P War.  During the Martial phase of these unfolding events he would have been blind to so many of the events he recorded afterwards in this worthy history.  (Mars is the active iteration of Mercury w/out its Moon hat, also known as passion.)  It was only afterwards, when he had the luxury of surviving, with his wits, that he was able to tap into that eminently soulful capacity, associated with the Moon, to communicate widely and in a timely manner and gather the information required to complete his literary endeavor.

I'm not going to spoil the story by telling you how the Athenians ultimately decided to deal with the rebellious Mytilenes.  I will clarify however the deed under consideration; it was to kill all the men, and and enslave the women and children.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Your blog somehow referring over to the Larson webpage got me here and this post is amazing. Glad I caught it. As always, and as Bob says, Thass' some tight writing,Jack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! Thanks John! I hope people will follow this link to the Larson page. https://raleighrambles.com/david-larson-art/

      Delete